Lame from a brigandine skirt (right)
Long, trapezoidal steel plate perhaps tinned within, asymmetrically curved to the body, the curvature increasing as it wraps around the upper part of the leg. The top edge is followed by a row of 25 close-set brass rivets with heads cut as eight-pointed stars. This was probably the second lame from the top on the front right side of the skirt.
This should be compared to HAM# 809.2. Such narrow skirt lames, with the upper end closely followed by rivets, can be found on cloth-covered defenses from the beginning of the fifteenth century. Compare, for example, the skirt of the breastplate in the Bavarian National Museum, Munich. A rather similar mark, but with individually struck characters, is found on a greave formerly in Churburg (Schluderns/Sluderno, Italy), which, since the 1950s, has been in the Royal Armouries Museum. The octagonal, blue-printed paper label affixed to the face of the lame is almost certainly one of Buchon's labels applied to Xalkis fragments in the 1840s.
Ian Eaves, "On the Remains of a Jack of Plate Excavated from Beeston Castle in Cheshire," "The Journal of the Arms and Armour Society," (September 1989), XIII: 99, note 6; 101, note 9; 102, note 11.
Guy F. Laking, "A Record of Armour and Arms. . . " 5 vols. (London: G. Bell & Sons, Ltd., 1920-22), II: 191-200.
Charles Ffoulkes, "Italian Armour from Chalcis," "Archaeologia" (1911), vol. 62: 53. F.M. Kelley, "Pre-Gothic Cuirasses of Plate," "Apollo" (1930), vol. 12: 37-43.
Publication & Exhibit History
Shown in a photograph of Xalkis elements in Athens, early 20th c., taken by Bashford Dean. Photo in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Dept. of Arms and Armor.